The first two years of study at INSA Rennes are based on a core curriculum designed for all engineering students. It also gives them the knowledge of human sciences that are so vital for anybody wishing to choose one of 7 masters of engineering.
Courses in Sciences and Techniques for Engineers
- Mathematics, Computing, Physics, Chemistry, Industrial Technology and Science
- Human and Social Science, Culture-Communication, Economics-Management, Modern Languages
- Business culture: Personal professional project, Job interview simulations, Examination : written evaluation and viva voce
Advantages of the course
- Students are paired (one French-speaking and one non French-speaking)
- Work in small groups (with individual support)
- Advanced courses in French and English
- International awareness courses : Geopolitics – international political economy (IPE), Practicals, lectures
Language-based travel and cultural activities
- Excursions to Rennes, Saint-Malo, Mont Saint-Michel, Paris, Strasbourg, etc.
- Language-based travel abroad
- Lectures, concerts, exhibitions, culinary differences, etc.
Internship, 1st Year, international curriculum
- One-month internship recommended in a company abroad (non French-speaking country) for French students.
- One-month internship in a company in France for international students.
Language preparation before the international stream
Language and scientific training is organized for non-native French speakers before they join the international stream, during a preparatory semester or summer school.
- The Preparatory Semester (SPIR*) from February to June (4 months)
- The Summer School in August (4 weeks) : French as a Foreign Language lessons (grouped according to level), host family accommodation (full board), themed visits and cultural outings
* In French